Sent on behalf of Dr. Gabby Medina Falzone, as a follow-up to her workshop “Decarcerating the Classroom and Supporting Justice-Impacted Students”
Justice-impacted students, i.e. those who are incarcerated, have been incarcerated, and/or who have/had loved ones incarcerated, are often left out of equity education conversations. All across California, a loose coalition for justice-impacted students, faculty, staff, and allies are developing pathways for those who are justice-impacted to graduate from college.
If you want to learn more about the work being done to support incarcerated and formerly incarcerated college students across California, here are some resources
- Don’t Stop Now Report from Corrections to College
- The Possibility Report from the Campaign for College Opportunity
- The CSU Project Rebound Consortium 2021 Report
If you want to learn more about how you personally can support justice-impacted students here are some tips and resources:
- Use humanizing language and avoid deficit-based or stigmatizing stereotypes. Check out the UC Berkeley Underground Scholars Language Guide and the workshop slides to learn more.
- Share resources with justice-impacted students in your classes as well as formerly incarcerated potential Chico State students. Here are a few:
- Root and Rebound “My Education, My Freedom” Toolkit (you can download it here)
- The California Community Colleges Rising Scholar Network, which provides supports for justice-impacted students at the community college level.
- Chico State Rebound Scholars which is a new student org for and by Chico State justice Impacted students and allies. Currently we are meeting Fridays at 5:30pm in Ayres Hall (AYRS) 106. Have your students contact Dr. Gabby Medina Falzone (firstname.lastname@example.org) to find out when we will meet next semester.
- Support Rebound Scholars’ first event. The organization is happy to welcome Shelley Winner, who with share about her journey from incarceration to professional employment, on April 25 at 6pm in BMU 203 (see flyer)
- Help create a Project Rebound chapter here at Chico State. Currently 14 CSU campuses have a chapter. Chico State is not one of them. Contact Dr. Gabby Medina Falzone email@example.com if you are interested.